Deep sea fishing trips can be some of the most fun and memorable vacations for an avid angler. This new and challenging experience can result in trophy sized fish – and the pride that comes with landing such a monster. So, where should you plan your next trip and what can you expect to catch while you’re there? Here are a few of the world’s most popular fishing destinations and our favorite places to drop the anchor and cast out:
- Andaman Sea – Phuket, Thailand: Visit these crystal blue waters between July and October for the chance to land marlin, tuna, dorado or a sailfish. You could also come across giant catfish or carp. There are many small islands in the Andaman Sea and the underwater outcroppings provide ample places for fish to congregate and live. You are sure to be rewarded for your time and efforts on the water in the sea!
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: Known as the ‘Marlin Capital of the World’, Cabo is home to some of the largest marlin in the sea. Strict policies require a anglers to catch and release all marlin so don’t forget to document the event! Among the marlin, anglers can also reel in yellowfin tuna, dorado and other large deep water fish.
- Coastal Costa Rica: The coast of Costa Rica is full of large and beautiful fish, just waiting for an angler to drop a line. In the Caribbean Sea off the coast of Limón, an abundance of mackerel, dorado, jack crevalle and tarpon can be found. On the opposite side of the country off the coast of Puntarenas, the Pacific Ocean waters are home to marlin, tuna, wahoo and snook. Whichever side you choose to fish off of, Costa Rica’s coastal waters are home to abundant number of large fish.
- Madeira, Portugal: The warm waters off the coast of Portugal have gained a reputation for their bounty and rewarding deep sea fishing trips. Highlighted by a wide variety of local species and located on migratory routes that bring bluefin tuna and marlin to the waters, anglers have the chance to catch a large variety of fish. Temperate climates mean fishing can be done year-round, but the best season is May through September.
- Victoria, Australia: The clear waters off the coast of the Land Down Under are chock full of sharks including the hammerhead, common thresher, organic blue whaler and gummy shark. In the waters of the Great Ocean Road, you can also find large snappers, barracouta, flathead and garfish.
- Prince Edward Island, Canada: During the bluefin migratory season, Prince Edward Island can be home to some of the largest tuna in the oceans. In fact, one of the largest tuna ever was caught in the waters off the northern coast of Canada. Deep sea fishing trips are available to venture out into these cool waters. During the bluefin season, August – October, charters are available for full and half-day ventures. For more information about rates and amenities, click here.